Garwood promoted to Union Librarian

Union Standing Committee member Leo Garwood has been promoted to the position of Librarian following the dramatic resignation of Kostas Chryssanthopoulos on Thursday.

Garwood, a first-year PPE student at St John’s, is understood to be taking up the position – the de facto Vice President – immediately.

Ben Sullivan, the society’s President, said in a statement: “I am delighted that Leo has decided to take up the Office of Librarian. I am sure he will perform the role with skill and dedication, and I cannot wait to start working with him.”

It follows a week of drama within the society. Chryssanthopoulos walked out of the Union chamber on Thursday, citing objections over Sullivan using Union funds to pay legal expenses – a decision which has now been reversed.

“Committee members have told me not to air the Union’s dirty linen in public. I think the President has been cowardly in avoiding the difficult questions,” he said.

“It fills me with great regret to have to make this choice. I cannot in good conscience continue to sit here tonight and remain silent in the face of a President who shows such disdain for the society he has pledged to serve.”

“I cannot sit next to a president who has shut down debate, lied to members and misused members’ money,” he added.