It’s getting hot out here

Fashion

Suddenly palm trees and pineapples are everywhere. The sunshine and positivity of the Caribbean has made its way over to the British Isles and is popping up all over the catwalk and high street alike. But it’s big, it’s bright and you’ll need to be bold to take the plunge.

Level one: hot

If it’s a quick summer injection you are after then nail polish is a safe bet, especially with Rita Ora’s new 60-second nail polish range for Rimmel. My favourite is ‘Do Not Disturb’, a vivid teal. In the rush of term, nails can be the first thing to be forgotten so a good base and topcoat is an easy way to make sure your nails look pristine for as long as possible. Try mixing up some bright tropical colours, especially complimentary colours like yellow and purple.

rita ora nail polish

Level two: hotter

From head… Ever a summer classic, ever an effortless winner, flowers in your hair are sure to brighten up your day. ASOS has got a gorgeous selection at the moment, from hibiscus crowns to simple clips. Perfect for diverting attention from your otherwise un-styled hair for the last minute lecture dash. This means that you get your foreign-feeling fix with little to no effort. Plus, you can make it as subtle or as outlandish as you wish.

To toe… Put your best foot forward with tropical printed shoes. There’s no excuse, whether you want wedges or plimsolls, you can find a tropical version.

Level three: hottest

Get on (the surf)board this tropical trend with a Hawaiian shirt. Elvis Presley did it. Now it’s your turn. The classic Hawaiian shirt has been trying to make a comeback for a while now but with scientists saying that summer 2014 has a 75% chance of being the hottest on record, this season might be the trend’s apex. Its bold prints might seem daunting, but the Hawaiian shirt is actually really versatile. Not only does it look great with everyone’s favourites – blue denim and/or the classic white sundress – but you can pick one which compliments your colouring. Button it up to the top or leave it open with a plain top underneath, tie it Britney-style with high-waisted shorts, put a slip dress over the top, do whatever you want with it, just get your hands on one. Here are a couple from the high-street, but a quick rummage in a vintage shop might just do the trick.

green hawaian shirt

For extra hu’i hu’i (cool in Hawaiian) points, mix and match tropical prints to really stand out. A Hawaiian shirt over a clashing printed bikini and a big pair of sunglasses will give you an individual and exciting poolside look.

So all that remains is to wish you Pomaika’i, or good luck, on your tropical travels.

IMAGES:

http://www.asos.com/ALDO/ALDO-Whitmill-Black-Floral-Print-Platform-Heeled-Sandals/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3899419&cid=4172&Rf947=4107&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=204&sort=-1&clr=Blackfloralprint

http://www.riverisland.com/women/tops/blouses–shirts/Green-floral-print-cropped-shirt-651843