Master’s student cleared of D-lock assault

Local News News University News

A master’s student at Oxford University has been cleared of hitting a researcher with a D-lock.

Cyclist Luke Wilmshurt denies causing actual bodily harm and criminal damages, after an incident that took place outside the University Biochemistry department last June.

The incident left the researcher, Sapan Gandhi, with a three-centimetre wound and in need of staples.

The trial at Oxford Crown Court was reported in the Oxford Mail.

When asked by Daniel Lister, the defence barrister, how he had come to hit the researcher, Mr Wilmhurst, who is short-sighted and lost his glasses during the argument, responded: “I tried to take the bike and leave – the lock was in my hand. I just motioned for him to back up.”

“It wasn’t much of a forward motion; I tried to suggest as if I was going to motion forward, to try and get him to back up.”

“The idea that I had was to try and reach out as far as possible to get him to move back.”

“I was very shocked when it made contact.”

When asked by Mr Lister if he meant to hit the complainant, Mr Wilmhurst responded: “No, not at all.”

He also stated that Mr Gandhi, who was driving a Vauxhall at the time of the incident, was “very aggressive, very angry and very hostile.”

He said: “He aggressively came out of the car towards me and I was afraid.”

The 41 year-old was studying for a master’s degree when the incident took place. He was found not guilty last week.