UPDATED: Union President Ben Sullivan bailed without charge

UPDATED – 20.05: Sullivan has been released on bail until 18th June. He was not charged.

Oxford Union President Ben Sullivan has been arrested on suspicion of rape and attempted rape.

The 21-year-old History and Politics student was arrested and taken to a local police station for questioning early this morning.

Christ Church confirmed that a “Junior Member of [the college] has been arrested”. Students at the college have been told to be “extremely cautious about talking to… the media”.

The Union has not yet issued a statement on the matter. No criminal charges against Sullivan have been confirmed.

The arrest is the latest event in a series of disasters that have rocked the Union in recent weeks, including controversy over Sullivan’s use of Union money for legal expenses and the resignation of Librarian Kostas Chryssanthopoulos on Sunday.

The President used the funding for legal proceedings against The Tab, but the decision for this money to be provided by the society was reversed at a meeting of Standing Committee early last week.

On Thursday night Chryssanthopoulos accused the president of “shutting down debate” and lying to members before walking out of the weekly debate.

Sullivan had arranged to hold an open meeting with Union members to “discuss the events of the past week” at 3pm on Thursday.

Union insiders have confirmed that the event has been cancelled.

The Union had also planned to host its “Summer Drinks Social” this evening, which has now been postponed to a future date.

Sullivan was elected unopposed to the position of President in Michaelmas Term this year.

There is no provision in the Union rules for the immediate removal of a President from office in the event that they are arrested by the police.

However, should they be charged with a criminal offence “liable to bring the society into disrepute”, the Standing Committee has the power to suspend the President “at its discretion until the outcome of the full trial of the charges brought”.

There is no possibility for an appeal against suspension.