We’re onto a real winner

Fashion

The line between designer and sportswear has become increasingly blurred.  Neon trainers and bomber jackets are swamping the Spring/Summer’14 collections and it has become clear that sportswear is no longer just for working out.  It has become more elegant and chic, creating a luxe sport trend which many designers have embraced.  It’s all about the bright colours and the texture, creating an effortless style.  This casually cool look rejects the idea that you need to ‘suffer to look good’ and takes pressure off women who believe it is necessary to dress up in order to be stylish.  It all started with the sportspeople, so here’s how to steal the style of those who actually work out and look fashionable at the same time.

In hockey we’re constantly looking at scurrying feet, and field hockey captain Kate Walsh stands out with her neon trainers.  You can wear them with skinny jeans or use them to dress down a nice skirt.  Not only do neon trainers add colour and impact to your outfit, but they are also practical and comfortable, especially on a busy day.  Plus, no blisters! Goodbye heels!

Serena Williams keeps a feminine touch to her outfit whilst playing tennis with this cute blue tennis dress.  The bonus of not actually wearing it to play sport means that you can jazz it up by adding big earrings and nice bracelets.  It would equally work on holiday since the breathable material keeps you cool and stylish at the same time.

serena williams 2

If you’re fretting about your bikini bod, go for a one-piece swimsuit in dark colours like Rebecca Adlington’s.  The sombre colours will make you look slimmer and won’t draw attention to your imperfections.  One piece suits are especially handy for water-based activities like banana boating as you won’t have to worry about losing part of your swimsuit when you fall in the water.  If you want, throw on a print shawl or big hat when you’re not in the water.

rebecca adlington

The team GB jackets for the London 2012 Olympics were admired and envied by many fashionistas.  The bomber jacket can go with anything from crop tops and jeans to summer dresses and is also great teamed with a smile like road race silver medallist Lizzie Armistead.  Bonus points if you get one in the colours of the British flag.

Not only is Jessica Ennis Great Britain’s golden girl, but she’s also a great style icon.  Take a leaf out of her book by clashing colours.  Sports luxe is all about mixing shades of pale pink, orange, blue and beige so don’t be afraid to go bold.  If you don’t want to clash item of clothing, use accessories to your advantage by teaming a neon pink satchel with a yellow blouse.

jessica ennis

A lot of sportswear is unisex so who says you can’t draw inspiration from sportsmen too? Steal Welsh rugby player Lee Halfpenny’s stripy high-knee socks to wear with heels or boots.