“You can’t sit with us”: Queen’s gets Mean with ‘pink’ Wednesdays

Queen’s JCR is set to become much more “fetch” this term after students passed a motion to mandate all members to wear pink on Wednesdays.

The motion, proposed by fourth-year French and Italian student Jack Straker and seconded by second-year medic Rosie Roberts, was proposed in honour of “the ten-year anniversary of Mean Girls” last week.

For “This JCR believes” it simply said “Mean Girls is great”. It then resolved “to recommend the wearing of pink on Wednesdays for the rest of the term.” 

It also stated that, during lunches on Wednesdays, students should “encourage this trend by using the phrase ‘you can’t sit with us’”.

According to an email from the Vice President, “a scale of acceptable pinks will be sent out” to members of the JCR soon in order to allow students to make the best decisions about what to wear.

Alfred Burton, JCR President at Queen’s, said: “This evening Queen’s officially made ‘fetch’ happen.

“The next logical step here is to make Cady Heron, Regina George and all the others official honorary members of the JCR.”

“I heard a rumour that Teddy Hall are going to do the same, because they have a big fat lesbian crush on us.”

“In all seriousness, this was a great motion and I’m really happy it passed. It shows that Queen’s is a fun college, and also that our JCR’s members have good taste in cheesy films.”

It is unclear whether the college’s MCR intends to follow suit.

The meeting sparked a number of discussions, including one over which high school movie was “objectively” better. Suggestions included Heathers, She’s the Man, and 10 Things I Hate About You.

One student asked for a distinction between “pink” and “salmon pink”, while another asked if “institutionalised ostracism” was ok.

Another student asked what would happen if JCR members hate pink but were bound by a successful motion. She was told she should not sit with people who do wear pink.

The motion was amended to ensure a committee – named “The Plastics” – is formed to decide an acceptable limit on the levels of pink. 

Straker did not take as friendly an amendment to stand at the front of the lunch hall and tell people “where to sit with the help of” The Plastics, but it was passed anyway.

Rosie Roberts, the motion’s seconder, paraphrased the character of Regina’s mom in her celebration of the motion. “We’re not a regular JCR. We’re a cool JCR,” she said.

“Mean Girls was an important part of many of our childhood/pre-teen years,”she said. 

“It is as relevant now as it was 10 years ago. Consequently, such an important milestone deserves to be celebrated.”

Mean Girls is one of the most popular films of the last decade. It was released in 2004 and stars Lindsay Lohan as Cady Heron, a girl who moves back to America with her parents and integrates into life in a normal school.

It grossed over £1,000,000 a week in British box offices and was produced by Paramount Pictures.