Wadstock draws noise complaints

Wadstock, Wadham’s annual music festival, came under fire last week after students across the University branded the noise emanating from the event as “excessive”.

The festival, which took place last Sunday, featured 12 hours of live music and poetry running from noon until midnight.

A student at St John’s said: “The noise from Wadstock was terrible. Despite our extensive gardens, all the trees in-between us and even with my bedroom window closed, I was still woken up by the noise of them testing the sound equipment in the morning.

“Worse still, the rest of the day was ruined by 12 hours of non-stop cheesy covers and rubbish music. There was no escape, and it generally disrupted the lives of the majority of students in college.” 

Acts such as Garfunkel, Crayon and Dot’s Funk Odyssey all entertained revellers on what was deemed an “absolutely brilliant day” by Wadham SU. However, with prelims and finals looming, some students felt the volume of the music was distracting them from their revision.

In addition to those at St John’s, complaints about the music were made by students at both Mansfield and Merton. One finalist said: “The noise made Mansfield library impossible to work in.” 

One student took to Twitter to complain about the noise. He said: “The music is clearly audible in Magdalen library/tent, which is over 700 metres away from Wadstock.”

He added: “It’s bad enough that we have to work in a tent. Now the noise too – what a disgrace!”

The music festival, which traditionally takes place during the first week of Trinity term, was followed by free entry to Junction for those who wished to carry on the festivities. 

Roseanne Chantiluke and Hannah Smith, last year’s organisers, were quizzed on why Wadstock is held during Trinity term, what with the prospect of upcoming exams. They replied: “The timing of the festival is what makes Wadstock so special.

“It is the last opportunity for those with prelims and finals to go wild before they go into hibernation. This gives them more reasoning to come.” 

Events hosted and attended by students in Oxford often come under fire for loud noise. 

Earlier this year the Warden of Merton College was forced to apologise after noise complaints  were made about the college’s winter Ball. Local residents – including a city councillor – complained to the college. 

The organisers of this year’s Wadstock festival were unavailable for comment.