The view from the cheap seats

Hilary Mantel adaptation Wolf Hall/Bring Up the Bodies has been a smash-hit with the critics, garnering four and five stars with the Telegraph and Guardian respectively. The Guardian also features an interview with lead actor Ben Miles, who refers to Mantel’s Thomas Cromwell as the ‘first working-class hero.’ Speaking of which…

The director of the Royal Opera House has lamented the genre’s lack of influence in politics, arguing that politicians are ‘‘scared to show their faces’’ at the opera, and instead spend far too much time munching on pasties and slashing benefits. 

Speaking of benefits, in case you didn’t hate him enough already: Andrew Lloyd Weber has got richer by £20 million over the last year – and, to make matters worse, you’ve now got the theme from Phantom of the Opera in your head.

Ambassador Theatre Group and the National Theatre are trying out new technology aimed at improving the theatrical experience for deaf audiences, with the aid of charity Stagetext.

Freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength, and apparently ‘‘limited run’’ now means ‘‘protracted tour.’’ 1984, co-produced by Headlong, Nottingham Playhouse and Almeida Theatre, is extending its stay at the West End before around the country.