Standing Committee member resigns

Anna Bazley has resigned from the Oxford Union Standing Committee citing ”irreconcilable conflict in personal loyalties and priorities”.

Bazley today emailed President Ben Sullivan and all other Union officers, stating: “It is with regret and relief that I write to tender my resignation as a member of Standing Committee. Unfortunately, due to an irreconcilable conflict in personal loyalties and priorities, I am unable to continue in my role on committee.

“I’m sorry this communication comes at such a delicate time, but as many of you are aware this is a decision I have been contemplating for a while, and having made up my mind thought it best to inform committee as soon as possible, to ensure that my successor can have a smooth transition into their new role. I wish the committee and the Union all the best.”

Responding to the news, Sullivan told The Oxford Student: “We are very sad to hear of Anna’s resignation. She made a great contribution to the Society while on Standing Committee and helped to organise an excellent debate earlier this term. We wish her all the best for the future.”

Bazley’s exit follows a number of resignations from Standing Committee in recent weeks. Treasurer Charles Malton, Librarian Kostas Chryssanthopoulos and Standing member Kat Connolly have all resigned since Sullivan’s dispute with the Tab and arrest for rape.