A brief introduction to… Jack & the Giants

Music and Art

Jack & the Giants are a new band from Oxford. Their debut EP, … Something in the Roots, is released today (4th June 2014). From what they’ve been saying, it’s pretty good. I chatted to Jack about the band, and the new EP launch.

Lead singer Jack is a second-year Music student at St Hilda’s College. He’s been writing songs since he was 15. After having been on the lookout for band mates ever since, he’s finally found the perfect ensemble. Mainly a drummer when he’s not songwriting, Jack’s a Bruce Springsteen fan – “though the bridge to [new song] ‘Stepping Stones’ is nothing liked I’d have imagined it aged 15,” he told me.

Bobby Goulder, the Giants’ bass guitarist, is a second-year student at Magdalen. Equipped with – in Jack’s own words – the “best musical ear ever”, he has also tried his hand at serving as MD for Out of the Blue, as well as writing the soundtrack for the recent production of Frankenstein at Keble’s O’Reilly Theatre. He sings the four-part harmonies at the start of ‘Go On Now …’, too.

Drummer Paul Rademeyer, a postgrad at Pembroke, is a multi-talented fellow: studying Biochemistry, Paul’s also in various orchestras around Oxford, plus he’s drumming in Parade next week. Paul joined the band after having met Jack during a performance of Verdi’s Requiem.

Peter Elliott, the band’s guitarist, is a Music fresher at St John’s. He was the musical director for last term’s production of Sweeney Todd. He’s done his first-year Extended Essay on Iron Maiden, and he has a dream for the band to reinvent prog rock. Either that, or he’ll convince them to become a Yes! tribute act. We’re right behind you, Peter.

The boys are live on Oxide Radio tonight – the OxStu’s favourite station – chatting about the new EP, and possibly playing some live stuff (if you’re lucky). On Thursday, they’re off to the Cellar at 8pm. They’ll be playing through the new EP there. Go on: see them in action.

“Our long-term plan is to do a mini tour of London,” Jack told me. “We’d also like to hit a couple of festivals, then just see where it all goes. Paul wants to do a gig at the Jacqueline du Pré Room in Michaelmas of this year with orchestral arrangements.”

You can sample the new single, ‘Starting New Things’, now on SoundCloud. The new EP will be up very soon, too!

https://soundcloud.com/jackandthegiants