OUCA heads to Downing Street

Oxford University Conservative Association visited George Osborne at his home in Downing Street last Thursday. 

In an event organised by OUCA, more than 20 members travelled to Number 11 Downing Street to be hosted by the Chancellor. After being subject to tight security, they were treated to a tour of the building, viewing the Cabinet Room, Prime Minister’s office and the State Dining Room before meeting Mr Osborne. 

OUCA President James Heywood said: “He answered all our questions about what life is like in Downing Street, as well as on more political issues like deficit reduction and UKIP. He finished off with an explanation of what he himself did whilst at Oxford, telling us that Dan Hannan MEP was an OUCA President during his era.”

Heywood added “It was a fantastic privilege to be able to organise this trip for our members. I would like to think it is a testament to the Association’s strong leadership in recent years that someone as senior as the Chancellor is aware of the huge amount of good work we do and was willing to recognise that by inviting us into his home.”

Simon Blackaby, Treasurer of OUCA, remarked: “George Osborne is the most senior figure in the Conservative party who has spoken to OUCA in recent times and represents a real coup for the association.”

“His willingness to speak to us is in no small part down to our efforts in campaigning in Oxford and beyond, doing our part to establish a Conservative majority in 2015. Being welcomed to Downing Street represents the increasingly close link OUCA has been enjoying with the Conservative Party.”

George Osborne attended Magdalen College, where he studied Modern History and graduated with a 2:1 in 1992. He was also a member of the controversial Bullingdon Club, which boasts David Cameron and Boris Johnson as old members, but he kept clear of student politics and opted to be editor of ISIS magazine instead.