Trinity football club moon violinist

Members of Trinity’s football club have been disciplined after lowering their trousers during a formal hall attended by famous violinist Maxim Vengerov.

Vengerov was dining with his father having been made an Honorary Visiting Fellow of the College earlier this term, and was being served dessert as the students simultaneously exposed their underpants.

The football club was fined an undisclosed amount following complaints by staff, and were also made to attend a Good Lad workshop by the College decanal team.

Junior Dean Clive Eley said: “The requirement that the football team attend a Good Lad workshop is to promote positive male behaviour in college. We understand these workshops seek not to punish “bad lad” behaviour, but to promote a culture of positive male behaviour and effective bystander interventions.”

A Trinity student supported the disciplinary action and condemned the prank: “Whilst it was apparently amusing for those taking part, what appears to some as harmless banter can clearly have a negative effect on others.”

Vengerov, who is the Menuhin Professor of Music at the Royal Academy of Music, had given a masterclass to four students earlier in the day. He is mid-way through a contract as artist in residence with the Oxford Philomusica.

Trinity College Football Club was unavailable for comment.