Oxford defeated in Varsity Poker

Oxford was defeated by Cambridge in the Varsity Poker match, hosted last Saturday in the Oxford Club. 

The first round ended with Cambridge leading 20 wins to 16 and the Light Blues managed to press their advantage home in the freeze-out round, eliminating all Oxford players from the table. 

The format of the competition was somewhat innovative, with Oxford players rotating around the table in order to face off against each Cambridge player.

After the first set of heads-up matches, Cambridge later managed to build a strong lead, with the scores at 15-8 after the fourth round. 

Cambridge’s 20-16 lead going into the final game meant they took 260 big blinds to the freeze-out round, compared to Oxford’s 235. The freeze-out round saw the Oxford players gradually forced out and both bounties taken by Cambridge captain Mark Hammond, giving the Light Blues the victory. 

When questioned about the strength of his opponents, Oxford player Mehmet Tar commented: “We were expecting a good challenge and they definitely delivered on that. What perhaps caught us a bit off-guard was how loose-aggressive some of their players were playing.”

Oxford Captain Gabriel Tiplady said of the Cambridge side that “overall they certainly had a slight edge on us” but that he “expected it to be close one way or the other”.

Tiplady’s teammate Charles Clarke-Williams agreed that the competition was close and commented the result could have been different had the Oxford side not “got unlucky on a number of occasions”. 

Concerning the chosen format of the event, Tiplady said that “the heads-up was a really interesting feature” and expressed a hope that next year’s competition might be “equally if not more successful”.