This week’s random fashion round-up

Fashion

1. What’s eerie, daring, and chic at the same time? BANKS, that’s what. Everything the American singer and songwriter creates is flawless, from the music to her lyrics, to the way her videos are shot. And of course, her style. Red and black crop tops, well-cut blazers and trousers, unstructured eyeliner, all is in her elegant Drowning video : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzGHgQBPyV0

2. Dulce et Decorum Est. While Balmain had thus far kept its military touch exclusively for its womanswear, the French brand decided to extend the inspiration to the Men’s collection in the 2014 Fall Lookbook. Admittedly, for more color and style, it should have probably drawn a little more inspiration from the Russian army, political controversy regardless (their uniforms are seriously cool, I promise).

3. The talented eighteen year-old actor Jack Kilmer appears on Hedi Slimane’s show for Yves Saint Laurent during Men’s Fashion Week. This pointless bit of news is a simple reminder that you MUST watch Palo Alto, Gia Coppola’s beautiful first film, in which Jack Kilmer plays the shy and sensitive Ted.

4. Death Becomes Her. The Met has decided to organize Halloween in advance and temper summer joy in announcing an exhibition exploring the mourning fashions of the 19th and 20th centuries. It also analyzes its cultural developments and aesthetical significance. “The veiled widow could elicit sympathy as well as predatory male advances. As a woman of sexual experience without marital constraints, she was often imagined as a potential threat to the social order,” says Jessica Regan, assistant curator.

5. More seriously, the Louis Vuitton Foundation will open in October in Paris, in collaboration with LVMH, creating a support network and patronage for arts and fashion.