A selection of the best world cup inspired art

As much as I may try to deny it and attempt to watch Wimbledon instead, there is no getting away from the fact that the FIFA World Cup is the world’s most widely viewed sporting event. With viewing figures for the group stages surpassing the 3.2 billion of the 2010 FIFA World Cup according to FIFA, it is unsurprising that there has been an outpouring of art inspired by the event as, in the words of Blake Gopnik, “art needs an audience”. To save you having to wade through the veritable ocean of artistic exploits associated with the tournament, we’ve picked out a few of the highlights. So, in no particular order (after all the World Cup’s about the taking part not the winning) here they are:

Gustavo Berocan Veiga’s ‘Association Ball Cup’ Typeface

As a part of the ‘36 days of type’ project, Majorca based illustrator Gustavo Berocan Veiga has created a typeface inspired by the FIFA World Cup. The ‘Association Ball Cup’ typeface includes letters inspired by both participating countries (E for England, F for France) and concepts associated with football on a wider scale (H is, unfortunately, for Hooligan and K is for keepie-uppie). Veiga has combined wit, stylised vector graphics and bright colours to capture some of the childlike joy of the biggest sporting event on the planet.

The Brazil Team’s New Ride

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7tuTHYYnr4]

The Brazilian identical twin artistic duo (what else) who work under the moniker of ‘Os Gemeos’, have given the Brazilian team’s Boeing 737 a subtle paint job. The plane, which is used to transport the players between sites and stadium, was covered in a plethora of vivid, golden-yellow portraits, intended to represent Brazil’s diverse culture. The intriguing mesh of playful and colourful faces are the result of a week’s hard labour from the pair and around 1200 cans of spray pain.

World Cup Pavilion at the Brazilian Embassy in Tokyo

The architects Shigeru Ban have created a pavilion at the Brazillian embassy in Tokyo, which will stand on the front patio of the building for the duration of the tournament. The use of recycled cardboard tubes, mimicking bamboo, and multicoloured footballs has created a space that is both functional as a site for various World Cup based arts events and is a fusion of the two cultures it represents.

Penalty’ by Mandy Barker

British photographer Mandy Barker has used World Cup fever to draw attention to a more serious cause: ‘Penalty’ is a collection of four photographs depicting 769 footballs which have been found on 41 beaches from across the world and collected by Barker’s followers on social media. Barker is hoping that the strangely poignant series will help raise awareness about the issue of marine pollution.

Red Hong Yi’s football portraits

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-5Ur0Y7BmA]

Though undeniably fun and possessed of a unique technical ingenuity, perhaps ‘Red’ Hong Yi’s large-scale group portraits are a step too far in the crossover between art and the beautiful game? The Shang-Hai based artist’s giant portrait of three of the tournament’s biggest stars (Ronaldo, Neymar, and Messi) were created by swapping her paint brush for a football, deftly manipulating the paint dipped ball across the canvas to render the famous features. Although the final outcome is somewhat lacklustre as a formal portrait, the process shown in the video above is captivatingly impressive.