Shakira sings praises of Oxford a capella boys

Pop star Shakira has praised Oxford a cappella group, Out of The Blue, on Twitter.

Shakira tweeted “hey @ootboxford we LOVE your a cappella Shak medley!” and linked to Out of The Blue’s ‘Hips Don’t Lie’ mashup video. The single was recorded in aid of Helen and Douglas House, an Oxford children’s hospice. The tweet received over 400 retweets and close to 1000  favourites.

One Out of The Blue member, Marco Alessi, told the OxStu: “It feels pretty epic. The video has been in the works for months so I’m super chuffed after all the effort that she (or at least her team) has seen it.

“We’re not entirely sure how she saw it. I contacted her agent in the States about copyright and permission with a link to the YouTube video before it was made public, so it’s probably because of that. Maybe her team just saw our tweet to her account though. Who knows?”

Alessi explained that Out of The Blue have had a connection with Helen and Douglas House for eight years.

He added: “We visit the hospice as often as we can during term time and sing to the kids and staff, and we’re always struck by the upbeat atmosphere and tireless optimism shown by the staff.

“We chose to make a music video for our Shakira medley because it conveys that energy and has always gone down a storm when we have performed it at the hospice. Oh and also because Ollie (the soloist) was desperate to cover his back in glittery sequins.”

Watch the video here: http://youtu.be/bRWVMPnByzo