Oxford comes 9th in Shanghai uni rankings

Oxford has won joint 9th place in the ARWU Rankings, moving up one position since last year.

Oxford was the second highest ranked UK university, with Cambridge achieving 5th place. The only other UK institutions to be in the top 50 were University College London (20th), Imperial College London (22nd), the University of Manchester (38th) and the University of Edinburgh (45th).

The news echoes the Guardian’s university league table which also placed Oxford in 2nd, behind Cambridge.

Oxford beat Cambridge in the Social Science and Computer Science fields and achieved its highest rank in Maths where it is 8th in the world.

A second year Magdalen student commented: “9th in the world is respectable, but getting beaten by Cambridge really rankles. Perhaps my tutors should spend less time telling me my essays are ‘rudimentary’ and more time publishing original papers”.

Top place was won by Harvard University which has taken first since the ARWU rankings were originally conceived in 2003.

The Academic Ranking of World Universities, also known as the Shanghai league table, was created by Shanghai Jiao Tong University to rank global universities. The ranking is calculated according to a formula that mainly takes into account alumni winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals, staff winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals, number of citations and number of articles published.

As well as Times Higher Education World University Rankings and the QS University Rankings, the ARWU is regarded as the world’s most important university league table. Oxford came second and sixth in these respectively.

The rankings come two days after thousands of A-Level students accepted their Oxford places.