Students respond to the 50 Shades of Grey trailer

The 50 Shades of Grey trailer made waves online upon release, amassing more than a 100 million views in its first week.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfZWFDs0LxA]

Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson star in the film adaptation of the best-selling novels by E.L. James about a powerful CEO and a college student’s BDSM relationship. The OxStu asked for student’s responses to the trailer. Here’s what we found out:

Kenny Dada

50 Shades of Grey is finally here! Well, the trailer is (the film itself isn’t out until Valentine’s Day 2015. Soz, Mr Grey devotees). As expected, the trailer teased the, er, interesting aspects that made the trilogy so infamous with elevator kisses, bedroom and shirtless shots, lingering stares between the leads, and some under-the-table action. Saucy stuff. Not expected was my mother announcing that she now wants to read the novels after watching the trailer. Disturbing.

Nassia Williamson

As a repenting reader of fan fiction, seeing Master of the Universe (hoho, Fifty’s AU precursor) come real is a staggering fact. Its progress from Twific canon to viral mummy porn to, finally, the big screen stirs a mixture of disbelief and – like a train wreck – outright horror. I really can’t wait.

Ashley Fisher

The golden rule is this: the higher the rating, the lower the box office income. So the producers may push for an R-rating. If so, the film won’t contain any of the content that everyone wants. Yet they ought to take the risk of an NC-17 rating, as the film is fairly low budget ($40m) and the fan-base is large and well established.

Sam Joyce

The focus on romance over sex and the studio rom-com cinematography suggest Universal are aiming for a broader audience than I imagined. However, the combination of the hot guy from Marie Antoinette, Beyonce covering her own song and gloriously knowing dialogue such as “I exercise control in all things”/“that sounds incredibly boring,” have me praying for a camp fiasco on a scale not seen since Lindsay Lohan’s Lifetime biopic of Elizabeth Taylor. I’m sold.

Tom Bannatyne

I’ve always viewed 50 Shades of Grey in the same way as I would a dead animal – with a morbid fascination. The trailer only adds to this. From its slowed down Beyonce track to its silly dialogue to its Valentine’s Day release date, it is cringe-inducing in the extreme, but it still has an undeniable appeal. It’s not clever, or sexy, or particularly dramatic, but there is enough teasing to make it not entirely rubbish.

image

Laura Hartley

Having read the Fifty Shades of Grey Trilogy I have to say that I was rather disappointed by the film trailer. I can’t really pinpoint what it is exactly but all I’m feeling is a whole load of ‘but … no’ when watching it. There’s no way it can be as sexy as the books because that would basically be porn, so surely it can only disappoint? That soundtrack though…

Harriet Fry

My initial reaction was to enjoy Beyoncé’s ‘Crazy in Love’, but also to realise that the plot is not as ground-breaking as it is made out to be. From the trailer, the characters seem like stereotypes: we have the demure, ostensibly uninteresting woman and the would-be dashing man who sweeps her off her feet. I wonder what kind of message this sends out about relationships today- should they really be characterised by such a power imbalance?

James Aldred

Almost as influential as the release of the book itself, the trailer has already nearly doubled one online retailer’s sales of sex toys. But in amongst the excitement, few have been willing to ask perhaps the most important question: doesn’t it just look a bit shit? The production looks predictably slick but dull, and shows a bumbling, cardigan-wearing woman who can only truly be liberated by a masculine cliché. What year is it again?

Megan Mary Thomas

The book was heralded as being outrageous and even revolutionary, but the trailer trots out the worn cliché; ‘there’s really not much to know about me’ girl meets ‘intense, smart, intimidating’ guy who ‘enlightens’ her. A really helpful tool for teaching our generation about the efficiency of intimidation as a means to consent. Does this film liberate women to talk about sex or does it glamourize oppression? Emmeline Pankhurst would be proud of how far we’ve come.

Freya Judd

Is this a sexually liberating franchise, reigniting women’s interests in the kinkier sides of sex, or does it depict an unhealthy example of BDSM? Unfortunately, an equally heated debate is the argument over whether Jamie Dornan has enough chisel in his cheekbones and charisma in his stares to portray Christian Grey. I say I’ll be watching 50 Shades ironically, but I can’t pretend I’m not hoping that Dornan will magically be standing behind me in the popcorn queue.