Christ Church welcomes New Dean

Christ Church’s new Dean, The Reverend Canon Professor Martyn William Percy, was installed in a ceremony last week.

Professor Percy is replacing the outgoing Reverend Christopher Lewis, who has been in the position since 2002. Percy officially took up the position at 6pm, 4th October, following the retirement of Reverent Lewis.

Professor Percy commented that the job was “exciting and challenging”, stating: “I am very much looking forward to serving the unique foundation that is Christ Church – a college of the University and the Cathedral of the Diocese. I am particularly looking forward to working together with colleagues throughout the College and the Cathedral, as well as with the senior staff of the Diocese.”

Professor Percy has been the Principal of Ripon College, Cuddesdon since 2004, and is married to Dr Emma Percy, Chaplain of Trinity College.

He also holds the distinction of being the only real-world theologian to be quoted in Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code.

Christ Church has a unique status as the only academic institution in the world that is also a cathedral. As the Visitor of Christ Church is the reigning monarch, the Dean of Christ Church is one of the few academic positions that must be personally approved by the Queen.

David Nowell, Senior Censor at Christ Church, commented: “Martyn is an excellent fit for the Deanship of Christ Church in a number of important respects: he is an active academic, committed to the importance of teaching and research; and he has experience of college life at Cambridge and at Cuddesdon. Martyn also has wide experience as a priest.”

A second year philosopher at Christ Church commented: “We are happy to welcome the new Dean to Christ Church and I am sure the dean will enjoy his time here. Christ Church often attracts media attention for all the wrong reasons, and I hope he will be a good figure to attempt to challenge this.”