Oxford downplays A-level panic

The University of Oxford has denied that the “provisional” nature of August A-level results mean that it should not longer use them to finalise course places.

The denial comes after OCR, one of Britain’s biggest exam boards, admitted that results should “not be viewed as finalised” before re-marking has been completed in late October, almost a month after the beginning of Michaelmas term.

The exam board’s comments have been made despite the standard practice of allocating places on the basis of August grades, which OCR now insist should be viewed as “provisional” rather than final.

A statement from the university press office denied that the lateness  that “the University has never denied anyone a place at Oxford as a result of an exam board error,” while admitting that “In a very small number of cases the delay in re-marking may result in candidates having to defer entry.”

Alison Rogers, chief executive of the Chartered Institute of Educational Assessors, was critical of OCR’s admission, saying: “It is always disappointing to hear of cases where students’ university chances are disrupted by human error in the marking of examinations and we should all be concerned about any erosion in public and schools’ confidence in the marking of A-levels and GCSEs.

“Standards in our qualification system must be seen to be robust, rigorous and able to stand up to the highest scrutiny and this must begin with the marking of examination scripts.”