Fire in Magdalen thought to be accident

A fire broke out in the Magdalen JCR games room on the evening of the 22nd October, prompting college authorities to threaten to close the room. While it was originally suspected that the fire was deliberately started, the Magdalen Dean has since emailed the JCR stating: “As far as we can tell this was an accident. Someone left a table tennis bat on top of a standing light, in contact with the light bulb. The light was subsequently turned on with the bulb burning the plastic on the bat.”

In an email to the Madgalen JCR, the Senior Dean of Magdalen stated: “At some time last night there was small fire in the JCR Games Room.  Not least from a Health and Safety aspect this is of some considerable concern to the College. Can any student who knows anything whatsoever about this incident please get in contact with the Deans as soon as possible. If we are not able to determine the cause of the fire we will regrettably have to close the games room.”

In an email to The OxStu, Magdalen JCR President Fabian Apel stated:“there was merely a slightly burnt table tennis bat.” However he also emailed the JCR stating “The Deans have informed me today that they intend to close the JCR games room unless the person who set fire comes forward. In the interest of other members, can I please urge you to identify yourself/yourselves to the Deans.”

One Magdalen JCR committee member expressed their dissatisfaction with the deans and suggested they were overreacting, claiming that: “It was not a big fire. This is just another example of the college doing what it does best – gleefully denying its students access to its own facilities.”

But another Magdalen student commented: “I’m glad it wasn’t an arsonist fresher; they all look so shifty. Then again, I don’t really care about the games room as I’m not a pool playing loser anyway.”