CapitOx thrown into mailing list disarray

Oxford banking and financial services society CapitOx has been thrown into disarray after the ‘reply all’ feature on one of its mailing lists was exploited to add all subscribers to the mailing list of UKIP, One Direction, the Young Communist League and lingerie suppliers Bravissimo and Pepperberry.  Subscribers received emails from the United Kingdom Independence party stating:

“Friend,

Thanks for adding your name to stand with UKIP. Are you able to donate £10 to help build our campaign for the 2015 General Election?”

Others thanked subscribers for “their interest in revolutionary communism” and to confirm their fanship of One Direction. One student commented to the OxStu that this use of the mailing list was “incredibly offensive” but that they “could not pick whether membership of UKIP or the official One Direction fan club was worse.”

The thread started when fresher David Miron hit ‘reply all’ in response to a CapitOx email regarding its upcoming event ‘How to get a Spring Week’ which it is hosting in association with JP Morgan. Miron asked “Dear CapitOx committee I’m really looking forward to the Spring Week event on Thursday. I was just wondering what the dress code is for these events.“ This was followed by a conversation thread shared by all subscribers to the mailing list which has so far reached

An email from an email address ‘[email protected]’ which is not known to be associated with the society sent to subscribers asks; “Dear Capitox Members, Please stop using the reply all feature of the mailing list. This list’s sole purpose is to allow the committee to inform our members of upcoming networking and employment opportunities.” It then continues however:

“Secondly I’d like to draw your attention to the UKIP subscription message that you should now all have received. We’re very excited to have partnered with UKIP and hope you’ll all consider donating £10 to support the election effort. Best, The Capitox Committee”

One message on the thread, sent by Queen’s College student Sunny Jain states:

“I am the Warden of Capitox.

I am pleased to announce that Deutsche Bank will be in attendance too. So, in order to create the best possible impression, dress up in traditional German lederhosen dress. This will get you fast tracked to the final stages of selection in no time.

Yours sincerely,

The Warden”

Yet another, from Henry Manson, states; “white tie is the compulsory dress code for these events. If you don’t own a set of tails by now you will never get a career in investment banking.”

CapitOx have so far not given official comment on the matter.