Carbon set to close

Local News News

Carbon nightclub is set to close, it was announced this week.

Prior to Carbon closing after this weekend, the popular nightclub is holding a final club night on Saturday entitled: “Rave 2 The Grave // The Carbon Closing Party”.

The club posted on Facebook: ‘So, we are afraid to say that time has come …. as some of you may be aware, Carbon Nightclub is soon to close forever… We would like to thank EVERYONE who ever supported the venue or the club nights during their time with us. You’re warmly invited to attend our VERY LAST EVENT on SATURDAY”

Carbon was the home of the popular house night Bloody Knuckles and the 2000s dance night Loveshy as well as hosting townie nights.

Student reaction has been mixed. One Pembroke student told The OxStu: “I certainly won’t miss the noise pollution but there was something quite pleasant about being able to stumble home in a few easy steps”.

Charlie Silver, a Queen’s second year, said: “It’s a real shame to see Carbon close, there aren’t many clubs in Oxford that offer an alternative to your Wednesday night Park End. Now that Carbon is gone, there are even fewer. Hopefully something will pop up in its place”.

Others were less worried with a Magdalen rugby player commenting: “I only go to Park End; the cheese floor sweeps all its opponents before it and will emerge victorious as the eternal centre of Oxford nightlife.”

Carbon’s closure follows Babylove’s move from the centre last Trinity to a more peripheral location. Carbon did not respond to the OxStu’s request for comment.