Vicious attack at Cowley’s O2 Academy

Local News News

Police have revealed that two men have been arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm following an attack which took place at the popular Oxford nightclub, the O2 Academy, on Saturday 1st November at 2am.

The victim, a 23-year-old man, had to receive hospital treatment after sustaining facial injuries from a group of at least five men. The incident took place while the 23-year-old was standing on the staircase at the O2 Academy, where he was assaulted, caused to fall to the floor, then kicked and stamped in the head.

The force said: “Two men, aged 23 and 25 from Wantage, have been arrested on suspicion of GBH. They have been released on police bail until 8 January 2015.”

Investigating officer Det Con George Atkinson said: “I am appealing for anyone with any information about the incident or anyone who saw the victim being assaulted, to speak to the police.

If you were in the 02 Academy at the time of the incident and have any information which could assist in the investigation please call the 24-hour Thames Valley Police enquiry centre on 101.”

The O2 Academy often hosts gigs and events which are extremely popular among students in Oxford.  Clarissa, who studies Japanese at Hertford College, has been to the O2 Academy in the past said that: “The O2 Academy was great when I was there, I’m so surprised! Seemed pretty normal last week.” Clarissa claimed she won’t be put off attending the O2.

One Magdalen student told the OxStu: “It’s easy to forget that Oxford isn’t the safe bubble some people assume it to be. Incidents like this remind us to be wary and remember that Oxford is part of the real world.”