St Peter's College

Student serves up viral revenge to childhood bully

The revenge letter penned by a St Peter’s College student has gone viral, receiving more than 950,000 views.

Louisa Manning uploaded an image of a letter written to a former schoolmate on 4th December, with the caption “a guy who bullied me at school then asked me out just got this from a waiter”. Two days later, the original Facebook post has more than 12,000 ‘likes’.

The letter read as follows: “So sorry I can’t join you tonight. Remember year 8, when I was fat and you made fun of my weight? No? I do – I spent the following three years eating less than an apple a day. So I’ve decided to skip dinner. Remember the monobrow you mocked? The hairy legs you were disgusted by? Remember how every day for three years, you and your friends called me Manbeast? No perhaps you don’t – or you wouldn’t have seen how I look eight years later and deemed me fuckable enough to treat me like a human being. I thought I’d send you this as a reminder. Next time you think of me, picture that girl in this photo, because she’s the one who just stood you up.”

This letter and the accompanying image have since attracted worldwide attention, and Manning has had her story published by Nieuwsblad in Belguim, Cosmopolitan and the Business Insider Australia. In addition, she has received a flood of supportive messages, including correspondence from individuals located in places as far-flung as Chile and Peru.

Commenting on the response to her letter, Manning stated: “I think it’s crazy and quite overwhelming, I wasn’t expecting it to go this viral! I think every tabloid ever has now printed something on me. I was pretty happy with Glamour magazine though – I was listed hero of the week, alongside Prince Harry. Success.”

Having received her note, the man in question – with whom she was reunited at an Oxford Yule Ball – sent a message of apology. “I was actually here to meet up looking for a chance to make friends, not because you are very good looking,” he explained. “I guess I had it coming though, and certainly don’t blame you for standing me up.

“I can’t change who I was eight years ago, and I won’t insult your intelligence by pretending that it didn’t happen, but I hope you believe me when I say I’m a completely different person now. I can only apologise and wish you the very best. I guess I won’t hear from you again but I mean it when I say that I hope you have every success you deserve.”

Despite a Twitter poll showing that 94 per cent of participants felt “the bully had this coming to him”, some commentators have reacted negatively to Manning’s actions. One particular individual wrote: “If they didn’t bully you, you most probably would be still be fat and thus not deemed ‘fuckable’. So, you owe him a thanks for you to be who you are now.”

Manning responded on Facebook that “You, sir, can go to hell”.