OOTB charity single

Out of the Blue release Christmas charity single

The all-male a capella group Out of the Blue, which made headlines earlier this year for their Shakira tribute, have released a Christmas charity single.

The proceeds made from their cover of Mariah Carey’s ‘All I Want for Christmas is You’ will go to Helen and Douglas House, an Oxford-based children’s hospice.

Posted to YouTube on Sunday, the accompanying music video garnered 12,000 views in the first 24 hours. Below the video is a message encouraging donations to the hospice.

The video features the 13 members of Out of the Blue singing and dancing in front of famous Oxford landmarks including the Old Schools Quadrangle, the Divinity School, and the Radcliffe Camera. The group then swaps their matching ties and slick choreography for frolicking in a range of garish Christmas jumpers.

Having first gained international acclaim after reaching the 2011 semi-finals of Britain’s Got Talent, the group’s cover of Shakira’s ‘Hips Don’t Lie’ went viral during the summer. The music video reached over five million views, and received an endorsement from Shakira via Twitter.

Explaining the Christmas song choice, Out of the Blue member Charlie Hicks commented: “Ever since I joined the group I’ve wanted us to sing a Christmas song accompanied by a cheeky Christmas video. I feel that singing and Christmas go together so well that it was an opportunity we couldn’t miss.”

Out of the Blue has been supporting Helen and Douglas House since 2007. A fourth-year New College member, Domhnall Talbot, remarked: “We make sure we visit this inspirational place at least once a term. It is a truly amazing Oxford-based charity that cares for children and young adults with life limiting illnesses. We would love to be able to top the £10,000 that we managed to raise for the charity with the Shakira video, whilst spreading the Christmas cheer!”

A spokesperson for Helen and Douglas House expressed their delight, stating: “We are thrilled and very grateful that ‘Out of the Blue’ continue to support Helen & Douglas House. They contribute so much by putting fun into our lives through their visits, as well as helping to raise vital funds for us to provide exceptional hospice care for terminally ill children and young adults. What a great present to these youngsters if people do something ‘Out of The Blue’ and download the single.”

You can find the OOTB charity single music video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqGfvtJvaSg