Hire me

Oxford pushed to fourth place in employability ranking

Cambridge graduates are more employable than Oxford graduates, according to a recent survey.

The 2014 Global Employability University Survey has found that Cambridge graduates are now among the most employable in the world.

Oxford University, which came first in the employability league table last year, has moved down to fourth place, while Cambridge has moved up from third place to secure its position at the top.

Although the list is mainly comprised of universities in the United States, 13 UK universities were placed in the top 150, with both University College London and Imperial College London rated in the top 15.

When asked why Oxford was no longer at the top of the table, Jonathan Black, the director of the Oxford University Careers Service, said that no Oxford student should be “too worried” about the results. He pointed out “we are still ahead of some excellent institutions including MIT, Stanford and Princeton and, closer to home, [10 and] 11 places above UCL and Imperial College”.

Black added that being in the table’s top 10 or 20 ensures “recruiters will always have Oxford on their list”, which “in part explains why this year there were over 8,000 vacancy lines on CareerConnect for the roughly 3,000 students from Oxford who go into a job”.

Many Oxford students were unconcerned by the news.

Georgia Bevan, a first-year St Peter’s College English student, commented: “The general lack of employment at the moment is definitely worrying, but attending a university which is currently fourth in the world for employment still seems pretty good to me.”

On the issue of graduate employment, Yasmin Hemmings, a New College music graduate working for the London Symphony Orchestra, commented: “Oxford students still have good employability prospects and our position on a league table shouldn’t cause too much panic. Having said that, jobs are increasingly competitive and the need for a large amount of prior experience can be problematic considering that we’re not supposed to have a job during term-time.”

Speaking with regard to the arts sector, where it is common for more than 50 people to apply for a single entry-level job or paid internship, Hemmings advised: “The careers service need to do more to establish links between the University and arts organisations.”

Emerging Associates, a French human resources group, and Trendence, a German research institute, produced the results of the survey by gathering information from 2,500 international recruiters across 20 different countries.

Image/ NYTimes.com