Rugby team pays pre-Varsity visit to care home

News Sport University News University Sport

Members of Oxford University’s rugby team visited Banbury care home residents to enjoy tea and cakes ahead of the Varsity match.

The rugby players spent time with disabled residents at the Agnes Court care home, which is managed by the official charity of the upcoming Varsity rugby match.

Members of the team with residents of Agnes Court

Reporting on the excursion, team captain Jacob Taylor commented: “It was great to chat to everyone at Agnes Court. It was a welcome treat as we were all exhausted from training.”

With regard to the chosen official charity for Thursday’s Varsity match against Cambridge, Taylor added: “We know that Oxford supporters are generous and we have set ourselves the challenge of raising more money for Leonard Cheshire Disability than Cambridge.”

The Leonard Cheshire Disability charity, chosen as the partner of the Varsity match by former international rugby union player and Cambridge alumnus Alistair Hignell, supports people with physical and learning disabilities.

Also embracing the Christmas spirit of good will to all men are college rugby teams. Earlier this month, the St Peter’s College rugby team embarked upon a carol singing pub-crawl throughout Oxford, raising over £170 for UNICEF.

Tom Foxton, a first-year member of the St Peter’s team, remarked: “Carol singing and drinking a few pints with your team mates in historic Oxford pubs is always a pleasure, and the fundraising element really added to the positive atmosphere. We were very pleased with the amount we managed to raise. I think it really showcased the spirit of the club.”

Donations can be made towards the Varsity match charity by texting ‘Oxford’ to 70660, which will donate £5 to Leonard Cheshire Disability. Fundraising will continue during the game, with light and dark blue Santa hats on sale.