Ten pairs of shoes you need this Christmas

Style

I showed this list to my mother, hoping she would get the hint. She absolutely did not. Try yours, though – it’s definitely worth a shot.

I unashamedly admit to forming my initial snap judgments of people almost entirely based on their shoes. I think it’s a pretty trusty barometer. I suspect you might too, although admit it at your own peril – you risk coming off totally shallow. Unless, of course, you come out to someone who likes your shoes and, as a result, likes you.

This Christmas, however, isn’t about judgment. Just the other day I lent a man wearing Campers on the tube my lip balm. If that isn’t in the spirit of Christmas, I don’t know what is. You might secretly be a little keen to impress your entire extended family with your sartorial prowess and that’s nothing to be ashamed of, but this Christmas is about feeling fantastic about yourself and helping others feel the same. And, let’s be honest, buying them – and yourself – shoes is probably the most effective way of doing that. You definitely deserve a hard-earned treat after all those all-nighters and arduous nights at Bridge.

There is something remarkably empowering about shoes. David Bowie allegedly came up with ‘Life on Mars’ whilst out buying shoes. We, like Paolo Nutini, understand the thrilling redemptive power of getting your hands on that new pair of shoes.  Paul Simon also got it, but, diamonds aside, here’s another – more affordable – way to cure those walking blues:
Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 23.56.06

Out From Under Lux Throughsole Platform Shoes in Gold
Urban Outfitters

£35  (£68)

Nothing says ‘party time’ quite glitter. You know you’ve nailed it when you’re trotting around the Christmas tree in shoes that match the baubles. To top it all, they’re on sale. There’s little more triumphant than a pre-Boxing Day bargain.

Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 23.56.14

Tipi Snake Skaters

Topshop

£20.00

Snake-skin slip-ons were very ‘in’ this summer, but they’re so great they haven’t yet retired into hibernation. They are surviving the winter pretty well, and we’re incredibly pleased about it. Thank you, Topshop. Buy them quick to save them from Spring-time discontinuation. Perfect for the Oxford clubbing ‘scene’ and casual Sunday strolls through Portmeadow.

Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 23.56.18

Sastre

Mamut

£125

These are just utterly majestic. The contrast colours, the subtlety of the snakeskin, the beauty of the finish; they pretty much speak for themselves.

Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 23.56.25

Eight Days A Week Chelsea Ankle Boots

ASOS

£45.00

These are the perfect everyday boots. There’s no denying everyone needs a simple pair of little black booties – they’re the shoe counterpart of the little black dress and are, arguably, even more essential. A little more ‘passe-partout’ than its fellow boot compatriots, these are both chic and casual enough for pretty much any occasion – basically you can wear them in Wahoo, lectures and the pub. What more could you ask for from a pair of boots?

Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 23.56.29

High heeled printed leather bootie

ZARA

£89.99

I spoke too fast. You could ask for leopard print. For when you’re feeling a little more adventurous, chuck the black booties into the corner and slip these on. They’re furry, for God’s sake – it’s magical.

Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 23.56.39

Legra Gem Platform Sandals

Topshop

£60

The bling on these is seasonal as hell and just, all round, pretty damn cool. You’ll feel like a goddess boogying with these at your New Years party. The chunky heel on these will serve you well, so you won’t have to limp home bare-footed after each guest dinner, clutching your stilettos, weeping and swearing you’ll never wear heels again.

Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 23.56.43

Risky Business Ankle Boots

ASOS

£35.00

Give a girl a chunky glittery pair of boots and she can rule the world.

Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 23.56.51

Flat studded leather shoes

ZARA

£69.99 GBP

Loafers that will make you feel like a powerful young professional with a serious edge. A great way to pretend you’re a real, independent and empowered person who can do anything, not just a kid with £69.99 in their pocket. These will write your essays for you.

Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 23.56.55

Adidas ZX Contemp Animal Print Trainers

ASOS

£65.00

You definitely need a new pair of comfy trainers to carry you into the new year. The leopard print detail adds just the right amount of subtle trendiness to your comfortable stride. Great for lazy days and for ensuring foot ache doesn’t get in the way of raiding the sales.

Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 00.14.04

Retro Rollerskates in Red and White

Urban Outfitters

£55

The new way to get to lectures. You heard it here first.