OxStu’s music predictions for 2015

Life

A lot happened in music in 2014. Kate Bush played her first live shows in decades, Against Me! released the most important punk album in years and Beyoncé was the undisputed queen of everything. But what does 2015 hold?

Firstly, the pop royalty: Rihanna released seven albums between 2005 and 2012, so the three-year gap since Unapologetic is especially notable. It’s also been four years since Adele released the record-obliterating 21, so the anticipation for the follow up this year is mountainous. To complete the trifecta, Kanye West’s new album is also coming soon, and judging from recent single ‘Only One’, it’s going to be spectacular. It was also announced back in September that Jay-Z and Beyoncé are collaborating on an album together, which, if released this year, will almost definitely be another big seller.

Elsewhere, Marina and the Diamonds’ new album Froot is looking to be another great pop album, judging from the three exceptional singles ‘Froot’, ‘Happy’ and ‘Immortal’. Grimes and Sky Ferreira have both hinted at new albums coming this year, and Chelsea Wolfe revealed on Facebook that she’s releasing new album Abyss this year. Following the drone-folk masterpiece that was 2013’s Pain is Beauty, it should be a good one.

Sleater-Kinney are also returning after a 10-year hiatus to release No Cities to Love, which comes out in late January, and so is likely to be one of the first big releases of the year, and guitarist and Portlandia star Carrie Brownstein is releasing her memoir this autumn, which will be required reading for any punk, feminist or fledgling indie rocker.

Deafheaven are releasing their third album after the universally acclaimed Sunbather, which was easily one of the best metal albums released in the last decade, and so their new efforts should hopefully be just as good. Following their recent instrumental album Fashion Week, the second half of Death Grips’ final album The Powers That B comes out soon, which should be an appropriately spectacular finale to their explosive career.

And this is just talking about albums coming from already established artists; a lot of the most exciting releases of the past year have been secretly dropped, come in non-traditional formats or have come from debut artists. Artists such as Perfume Genius, FKA Twigs and Alvvays came out of nowhere with some of the best albums of 2014; the music to look forward to in 2015 is the unpredictable!