Styling the slip beyond the bedroom

Style

The line between daywear and nightwear is, as of late, rather ambiguous. Printed rompers, silky kimonos, pyjama-inspired matching sets–these styles, worn on the street by even the most put-together sartorialists, were once exclusive to the privacy of one’s bedroom.

Of course the most classic example is the slip dress: simple and strappy, constructed of some sort of flimsy material like lace, silk, satin, etc., this piece deserves to be a year-round staple in every girl’s closet. A hallmark of 90s fashion, the slip has returned in full force on recent runways and red carpets. Rihanna is the undisputed queen of the negligee–the fashion icon stuns again and again in strappy silhouettes, from her slinky silk number at the Guys’ Choice Awards last summer to her red-hot mini at the 2012 GQ Men of the Year party.

If you’re bold enough to channel Rihanna and hit the town in a slip dress and nothing more, kudos to you. For the more timid, fear not–there are ways to incorporate a slip into your daily wardrobe without baring all. Simple designs open up a wide array of styling options. In wintertime, slip on a slip and layer up for an unexpected yet sophisticated ensemble for any occasion:

1) Tutorial: Layer a dark-hued slip over a turtleneck; put on your classic schoolboy blazer, penny loafers, and tights for a sharp, everyday look.

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-11%20at%2015.12.58

2) First date: In a wooly oversized jumper and over-the-knee boots, a hint of silk adds a play of texture.

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-11%20at%2015.14.06

3) Wahoo: Contrast lace and silk with a moto-leather jacket and platform combat boots.

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-11%20at%2015.16.54

4) College ball: On elegant evenings, cloak a structured trench coat over a black silk slip; leave your feet bare in strappy kitten heels.

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-11%20at%2015.14.54