Countdown: Three terrible films shot in Oxford

Screen

3. Oxford Blues

A young Rob Lowe plays the title character in this ridiculous 80s comedy about a University of Nevada dropout who comes to England to pursue the beautiful Lady Victoria, a student at Oxford University. He bags himself a place at Oriel College, which features heavily in the film, but soon finds out that Lady Victoria is involved with a rower from Christ Church. Drama.

2. The Avengers

I’m not talking about the critically acclaimed Marvel film, but the 1998 American action spy film adapted from the British television series of the same name. Despite having a star studded cast, including Ralph Fiennes, Uma Thurman and Sean Connery, this film received a whopping seventeen nominations for worst film, even winning ‘Worst Remake or Sequel’, ‘Worst Director’ and ‘Worst Resurrection of a TV show’.

1. The Saint

An espionage thriller film starring Val Kilmer, this film was a financial success, but there ends the list of positive things about this film. Kilmer plays a high tech thief and master of disguise that becomes the anti-hero using the names of various saints whilst living in the underworld of international industrial theft. Apparently a story about saints and thieves doesn’t work so well. The film still managed to get a mention at an awards ceremony – Val Kilmer was nominated for Worst Actor at the Razzies (Golden Raspberry Awards), an award ceremony in recognition of the worst in film.

PHOTO/Chris Chabot