Thought for food: Loch Fyne

Food and Drink Student Life

If someone were to tell me last week that a trip just down Walton Street I could be transported to the beautiful Scottish coast I would have scarcely believed them. But since visiting Loch Fyne I know this to be true. The laid-back decor and bracing smell of sea air create an ideal setting for the restaurant’s magnificent and fresh seafood.

Everything was utterly infallible. The starters, tempura squid and lobster bisque, were divine. The tempura dish was perfected by the sweet chilli jam that came with it. Far from the luminous orange sweet chilli sauces I have come to expect, this was dark and rich, adding a deep warming sensation to the squid, with a hint of sweetness. The bisque was also a hit, with peppery undertones perfectly complementing the subtle lobster flavours. The accompanying granary bread was impeccable for polishing off the small pot of (exquisite) aioli.

As the dominating feature of the menu, we opted for the baked lobster with garlic butter and chips. It was as simple as it sounds, but nothing more was needed than the flavour of the lobster. I devoured it, desperately picking it apart to find every last bit of meat. Similarly, the seafood linguine was divine. The sauce was moreish, with scallops soft as butter, clams full of tang and salty samphire cutting through the creamy texture to ensure that it was never too heavy.

It was all too good to be true, and so we lowered our expectations for dessert. But the passion fruit cheesecake wowed us all over again. They didn’t scrimp on the biscuit base. It was punchy, fresh and palate-cleansing.

Whilst a little pricey for everyday student dining, they frequently run deals (on Monday nights two à la carte meals get you a free cinema ticket), and so if you’re looking for somewhere to splash out, look no further. Loch Fyne? More like ’Loch Bloody-Fine!’

PHOTO/ Loch Fyne