Inaugural OUSU student awards celebrates achievement.

Over 150 students gathered at Oxford Town Hall last week to congratulate the nominees and winners of OUSU’s new awards.

Louis Trup, OUSU President, said: “When I ran to be OUSU President, I ran with the intention of engaging and supporting students in ways OUSU hadn’t done before. I think that the student awards, which recognised the successes of student societies and other extra-curricular endeavours did just that.

“This was the first year this has been done and I hope the awards will continue for years to come, and will act as a springboard for OUSU better supporting student activities.”

Eight categories were judged, with awards given to Society of the Year, Student Innovation of the Year and Creative Piece of the Year among others.

The Outstanding Individual Contribution to Oxford Life award was won by student Marie Tidbull for her work spearheading the ‘Let’s get Disability on the List!’ campaign and, more recently, being the driving force behind the Oxford Wadham Graduate Scholarship for Disabled Students.

Marie said: “It was an honour to receive this award; a culmination of working together with great friends with great ideas. To them I am very grateful. It really is the very special and thoughtful environment and people of Wadham which has enabled these initiatives to thrive.”

Warden of Wadham College Ken Macdonald commented: “Wadham is very proud of Marie. She has raised our awareness of disability discrimination and contributed so much to our community. From campaigns to seminars to the creation of a Graduate Scholarship for Disabled Students – she has been a whirlwind. Everyone here is in her debt.”

Winner of the Cultural Society of the Year award was Oxford Jewish Society. Mikey Beder, Jewish Society President, commented: “We were thrilled to accept an award commending Oxford JSoc’s many achievements in the recent and distant past.

“I speak on behalf of former committees as well as my own when I say how delighted we are to have been acknowledged for our efforts throughout the course of the academic year in providing a diverse programme for Oxford students.

“We had the privilege of attending a fabulous evening made all the more special when to our surprise we walked away with a coveted award.”

For a full list of categories and winners, see the OUSU website.

Image: Phillip Babcock