Bursting the Bubble: What’s on in London?

It’s midway through term and some of you may feel the need to escape the Oxford Bubble, so we’ve rounded up a list of the best London shows on at the moment. Take a look at what tickles your fancy for your mini-break away from those lectures, essays, and the Rad Cam.
Plays:
Top on our list is the play My Night With Reg. This acclaimed comedy has just transferred from the Donmar for a limited run at the Apollo. Set against the background of the AIDS crisis the play follows a group of gay friends living in London. Set in the 1980s, the group meet sporadically after key events in their lives. Watch their changing group dynamics in this bittersweet comedy.
Rather more darkly uncomfortable than comedic, How To Hold Your Breath, has just begun its run at the Royal Court Theatre. Having opened only a matters of weeks ago, Maxine Peake’s performance (Hamlet, The Theory of Everything, The Village) has already received critical acclaim and I for one will not be missing the chance to see her in person on stage.
Slightly off the beaten track is the Battersea Arts Centre in Clapham. With a huge range of performances continually on offer, this is the place to find everything from spoken word poetry, physical dance theatre, and quirky new creations, as well as a multitude of workshops for young people who are interested im creating theatre.
To return to the West End line up. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, has recently transferred to the Gielgud. Based on Mark Haddon’s novel and adapted for the stage by Simon Stephens, the story follows a boy, his family, and how he relates to the world around him. Poignant and funny, with a brilliant set by Bunnie Christie, this isn’t to be missed.
Musicals: 
For those who prefer a little more singing and dancing, the West End of course provides a plethora of musical entertainment. For guaranteed enjoyment, you can’t go wrong with a classic such as Billy Elliot. Combining dance and socialist struggle, the musical is an incredible re-imagining of the iconic story.
The Menier Chocolate Factory also sees Sondheim’s Assassins grace its stage currently. Certainly worth a trip, this theatre can even offer fine dining before the musical begins.
Dance:
The Royal Opera House has a lot to offer at the moment. The home of traditional ballet, this is the place to see their current production of Swan Lake. Their version combines Petipa’s classical choreography with new costumes and an incredible set; it is a beautiful spectacle of dance at its best.
For those of you who prefer more contemporary dance Draft Works will be put on next week. The production features shorter pieces of choreography by the dancers of the Royal Ballet. It sounds like an interesting exploration of dance in its rawest form.
IMAGE/National Theatre (The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time)