The new model ‘Brat pack’

Fashion

Certain models can be seen to symbolise different eras in fashion; Twiggy epitomises sixties mod, Iman established herself as a supermodel in the 1980s, for the nineties it was the chique gaunt Kate Moss and for the noughties the glowing Gisele. Today there is a band of young, influential models climbing the fashion ranks.

Kendall and Kylie Jenner, Gigi Hadid and Hailey Baldwin are members of today’s model ‘brat pack’. Each photographs flawlessly and each has the perfect figure, though they have other traits that ties them to this generation. Three of them initially found fame thanks to reality television; Kendall and Kylie Jenner are the youngest siblings in the Kardashion dynasty and Hadid is the daughter of Yolanda Foster of Real Housewives fame. The fame credentials of Hailey Baldwin, daughter of Alec Baldwin, need not be elucidated.

They have amassed huge followings on social networks, pioneering Instagram by uploading pouting selfies and showcasing outfits. The Jenner sisters have almost fifty million followers between them, and pictures regularly break the one million like mark. For their followers the images are a point of interaction and a quick look in the comments section reveals the cult following this group has accumulated. Comments such as ‘goals’, ‘you are so perfect’, ‘I need this outfit’ and ‘so in love with you’.

This revelation about Kylie Jenner’s famous lips has dominated the press, gaining coverage in the Independent, Daily Mail and other major online news outlets. Yet this seems somewhat strange when one considers she is just 17 years old and her decision has become ping-pong for writers to comment on whether they deem this move acceptable. One can’t help but see something rather sinister in Jenner’s following. For every comment of overwhelming praise there is one of abuse or even more disturbingly objectification. People can comment on the appearance of these young women in a way they could not in person.

Image: Instagram