To buy or not to buy; designer handbags

Yes!

Yes, designer handbags are fairly pricey (a Mulberry Bayswater in Oak Natural Leather is currently priced at £895) but for what you get for that price, they are definitely worth it. You might be able to get a nice looking bag from Topshop or other high street stores for around £50 but it’ll last you a year, if that, before it gets frayed and worn and you feel the familiar yearn for something new.

A designer bag is an investment for life. You pay for a quality that just cannot be found on the high street, unless you want to pay nearly designer prices. When you spend that much money on a bag, you definitely want to make it worth it, so you will take that bag everywhere instead of the usual process of alternating between various high street buys. The top quality and classic look means that you won’t need or want another bag – it’ll last you years and you can pass it down, along with all the memories, to your children. If you buy your bag in a classic style it will go with all of your clothes, so no need for another. Truly a bag for life!

The outside of a designer bag (obviously) looks cool, but what is often forgotten about the bag as a whole is the inside. Luxuriant linings, leather trims, zip pocket after zip pocket complete with zips that don’t break after the third use. Let’s also not forget about the care instructions and help that comes with your purchase – would you get that at your local H&M?

All these points have only touched on the practical elements of buying a designer bag. That’s because it basically goes without saying that you’ll feel like an absolute fashion boss when you go out with your bag. It will automatically transform any drab or boring outfit into a cool and classy one, something that just cannot be said about a high street bag.

Kelly_Bag

No!

A Plume Hermes bag costs £5,120. That exceeds my yearly rent as Oxford, it exceeds the cost of a car with insurance and it exceeds the cost of 146 Accessorize bags of a similar size at the cost of £35 each.

You’re ready to go out for an evening, wearing a new orange dress-it’s garish but Vogue says it’s the latest stle. Then, shock horror, you turn to pick up your designer tote only to compare the light blue shade to your outfit and cringe. Such an investment is questionable if it does not match with every one of your outfits. Additionally the creamy leather bag is not appropriate to for every occasion, necessitating the purchase of further bags to compensate, rendering the walking-safety-deposit box somewhat obsolete.

Proponents of buying designer bags would point to the longevity of the items, however whilst the luxurious material it is composed of may last, the design will not. If we cast our minds back to the likes Tapestry bags of the 1970s or 1980s brightly coloured patented style, it becomes apparent a bag purchased now could not be wearable in the future.

The principle of buying bags for the designer brand name is also somewhat problematic. Obtaining certain brands is tantamount to sharing in the status of the make. Though there is another side to this. In sharing in the status of the brand you can be perceived to share a wider set of values. This becomes an issue when designers come under fire, most recently Dolce and Gabanna and Hollister, for making comments that caused offense, which could cause you to cover up that logo you so lavishly invested in.

But ultimately for me it comes down to one simple fact; who wouldn’t rather have 146 different styles than just the one design?pic2

Featured image: luxurylaunches.com,

Other images: wikipedia