Two day Oxford manhunt ends when body of suspect is found

The body of Jed Allen, suspect of a triple murder in Didcot on Saturday, was found on Monday evening, ending a two day Oxford manhunt by the Thames Valley Police.

The cause of his death was not reported by the police.

Allen, 21, is suspected of killing his half-sister, mother, and her partner on Saturday. The three were found by police at 8:23pm in their Didcot house, dead from stab wounds.

Allen travelled from Didcot to Oxford by train, with  CCTV footage showing Allen at the WHSmith shop at the Oxford station at around 6:00pm on Saturday. Police believe he then walked the mile or so from the station to University Parks, which were closed off from the public during the period of the manhunt, due to police suspicions that Allen might be found there.

At the time of the murders, Allen was employed by Didcot Town Council as a gardener. Although police initially reported that Allen had previously been employed by Oxford University Parks as a groundskeeper, a University spokesperson told The Oxford Student that “there is no record of Jed Allen ever being directly employed by the Oxford University Parks or by Oxford University Sport.”

The manhunt for Allen involved a police helicopter and over 100 officers on Sunday and Monday. Extra officers from around the area, as well as national-level resources were used in the search.

University Parks were closed for the duration of Sunday while dozens of police combed the area in search of Allen, before reopening on Monday morning. Police helicopters continued to survey the area through Monday, until Allen’s body was found at 5:00pm.

The victims were identified as Jan Jordan, 44, Allen’s mother, her boyfriend Philip Howard, 44, and her daughter Derin Jordan, six. Police are now searching for clues as to the circumstances surrounding and the motive for the murders.

The Oxford Mail reported testimonials by those who knew Allen, who described him as “quiet”. Allen has been branded the ‘Wolverine Killer’ after journalists uncovered a photo of him holding knives between his fingers on his Instagram account.

Allen’s body was found by civilians in woodlands near Marston Ferry Road, close to the Oxford ring road. The Daily Mail reported that Allen’s friend, Jordan Dee, had received a text message from Allen, saying “I’ve done a very bad thing,” before Allen’s death.

The police have said that no other suspects are currently being considered in the case.

One first-year History student described the two-day manhunt as “scary”. He said: “Seeing all the police in what is usually a very quiet city was weird. I’m just glad that everybody is now safe, although the helicopter flying over my room for hours was quite annoying. I am really impressed with the conduct of our police forces for keeping us all safe.”

PHOTO\Nick Doty