Oxford University Labour Club considers endorsing left-wing candidate Corbyn

Oxford University’s Labour Club may choose to endorse MP Jeremy Corbyn for party leader at its General Meeting today.

Jeremy Corbyn recently announced his leadership candidacy, and is considered to be on the Left of the Labour Party, having voted against tuition fees and other contentious New Labour policies.

He stands against favourites Andy Burnham, Liz Kendal, and Yvette Cooper, though some note he may struggle to attain the 35 parliamentary nominations required.

An OULC motion, proposed by members James Elliot and Michael Muir, notes that over 5,000 people have signed an online petition urging Labour MPs to support Corbyn, and that his leadership campaign has over 15,000 likes on Facebook – “more than three times as many as his nearest rival, Andy Burnham, and nearly seven times as many as Liz Kendal.”

The motion also states that “Labour cannot win the next election without regaining the votes of many who thought the party offered an insufficient alternative at the last election,” and that Corbyn’s candidacy “represents a strain of opinion appreciably distinct from that of other candidates.”

St John’s student Michael Muir commented: “A group of us brought the motion for OULC to endorse Jeremy Corbyn because we looked at the Labour leadership election and were left profoundly dispirited by a tired Blairite consensus that didn’t seem to address the real needs of Party members and activists.

“In particular, we hope our endorsement will put pressure on Oxford East’s own Andrew Smith MP to consider nominating Mr Corbyn, who has been a tireless advocate for socialism, peace and justice in Parliament … #JezWeCan.”

Photo/Jeremy Corbyn Twitter