Stuart Webber and STEP cruise to victory in Union Elections

Union Librarian Stuart Webber has defeated Treasurer Zuleyka Shahin by over 600 votes in the election for Union President, results released this morning have shown. Webber’s STEP slate won all the Union’s other major officerships: Librarian, Treasurer, and Secretary.

The hotly contested election saw a turnout of over 1,500 Union members, one of the highest in recent Union elections. The number of votes cast was nearly 400 higher than in last term’s election, in which Charlie Vaughan won the Presidency uncontested.

The final vote tally for President was 442 votes for Shahin, and 1,055 for Webber.

The election featured two primary slates. Webber’s STEP group promised “Speakers, Transparency, Experience, and Progress,” whilst the #NOWorNEVER campaign ran on a manifesto promising to improve access and bring “structural change to the Union”.

Niamh Coote, the STEP candidate for Librarian, won by over 500 votes. Noah Lachs defeated Brenda Njiru by over 300 votes for the position of Treasurer. Ssuuna Golooba-Mutebi, the STEP candidate for Secretary, won uncontested. 

A message on the STEP Facebook page said: “We’d like to thank you all so much for voting yesterday – we never could have dreamt of winning with such margins, and we owe it all to the help, support and love of everyone… We look forward to producing an extraordinary programme of events at the Union over the next two terms.”

President-elect

Stuart Webber (S): 1055

Zuleyka Shahin (N): 442

RON: 50

Librarian-elect

Niamh Coote (S): 948

Oliver Quie (N): 417

RON: 64

Treasurer-elect

Noah Lachs (S): 850

Brenda Njiru (N): 511

RON: 62

Secretary:

Ssuuna Golooba-Mutebi (S): 1138

RON: 171

Standing Committee:

Henna Dattani (S): 332

Mia Smith (S): 242

Tim Cannon (N): 187

Callum Tipple: (S): 187

Jonathan Tan (S): 165