Lava Ignite and Camera set to close

Local News News

Oxford’s nightlife will be significantly different next term as two established names disappear.

Both Lava Ignite and Camera will no longer open their doors to revellers, with both now set to close and reopen as new venues.

Lava Ignite club, commonly known to students as Park End, has been open for 8 years but will close on the 29th August to make way for a new club, Atik, which will open on September 11th.

The Deltic Group, which operates Park End, have invested £500,000 in redeveloping the site, with all five rooms being refurbished and rebranded.

Russell Quelch, regional director of the Deltric Group, said in a statement: “Lava & Ignite has been part of the Oxford scene for eight years, but it’s time to put it to rest and create an entirely new experience for today’s clubbers. We are confident that our existing and new customers will really enjoy the look and feel of Atik.”

“We will still have mid-week student nights and hope to attract a more local audience at the weekend.  With a line-up of internationally acclaimed DJs and celebrity appearances, we are confident that Atik will be a big hit!”

Camera, on St Ebbes Street, will also close.

The club, opened in 2009, presented itself as a high-end establishment with large VIP areas, and could boast of hosting names such as DJ Fresh, but it will now close to be replaced by a different club at the venue.

One second year student commented: “I’m really not surprised Camera’s closing – I don’t know anybody who regularly goes there. It never really had an established student night, so I don’t think I went at all after fresher’s week.”

The closures of two of Oxford’s best-known nightspots come as statistics published by the Association of Licensed Multiple Retailers showed that the number of nightclubs in the UK has almost halved in the last decade, with 3144 open in 2005 and just 1733 in 2015.

Changing habits amongst students and the difficulty of obtaining fresh licensing once venues are closed have been offered as explanations for the dramatic decline in club numbers.

Camera nightclub has yet to respond to The Oxford Student’s request for comment.

PHOTO/oxfordbynight