Oxford Union “Shake It Off” in video invitation to Taylor Swift

The Oxford Union has received international media attention after releasing a video inviting pop star Taylor Swift to Oxford.

The video, released on 19th August, uses a montage of speakers during appearances at the Oxford Union (including Stephen Fry, Psy and Sir Ian McKellen) to create a cover of Taylor Swift’s song “Shake It Off”.

Originally released on Twitter, the video is captioned “@taylorswift13, fancy joining us in Oxford?”.

As of 21st August, the video posted on the Oxford Union’s Facebook page has had over 57,000 views and been “liked” by over 680. The version on the Oxford Union’s YouTube account has 35,000 views.

One student, Zara Brownless, commented on the post: “Genius promotional material, Stuart Webber. More of this will do you the Union very well indeed. Give bonuses to whoever came up with and executed the idea. Good job!”.

The Oxford Union’s video has been noticed and retweeted by several media outlets, including Time magazine, the Telegraph and the Guardian. It has also been featured on the BBC website.

Piers Morgan, one of the individuals featured, responded positively to his appearance, Tweeting: “Love this, and very honoured to be included!”.

Responses to the video have, however, been mixed. One YouTube user, James Orlando, commented: “From this video I can see quite clearly that the Oxford Union has a low barrier of entry for guests”.

One second year student added: “The video’s fun, but I don’t think it’s actually going to make her come. It’s just a way for the Union to get themselves some publicity and encourage freshers to part with extortionate amounts of money for membership.”

The release of the Oxford Union’s video comes a year and a day after the initial release of the original single “Shake It Off”. Taylor Swift has not yet made a public announcement as to whether she plans to accept the Union’s unusual invitation.

Watch the full video here: