One, two, cha-cha-cha!

While in Oxford a brand new academic year begins, a very important event for professional latin dancers from all over the world is getting closer and closer: The 2015 World Dance Council Open World Championship in Professional Latin Dance!

For more than 50 years this competition has been held annually in a variety of venues. This year, couples from all over the world will meet in Warsaw, Poland, and compete for a place on the podium.

The competition works as follows. Each country is allowed to send two representative couples to this events, but as this is an open competition, other couples are free to register as well. All in all there are expected to be more than 70 couples from more than 30 nations worldwide which, who will then show their routines in rumba, samba, cha-cha-cha, paso doble and jive in front of the jury members. The full day of competition, starting at 8am and continuing well into the night, will be followed by an evening gala and the awarding ceremony will bring the competition day officially to an end.

As of early October 2015, two couples from the USA and one from Canada are top of The World Dance Council Pro Latin World Rankings. Yulia Zagoruychenko and Riccardo Cocchi, and Stefano Di Filippo and Daria Chesnokova are first and third respectiveky for the US, whilst Maurizio Vescovo and Andra Vaidilaite are second for Canada.

This years competition will be heated, and the dominance of the North Americans will sure to be challenged. It will be interesting to see which couple will be this year’s World Champion in Professional Latin Dance. The results of this will be published in the OxStu in the forthcoming weeks.

PHOTO/David Thomas