Early loss for Corbyn at Magdalen

Ajeremy_corbyn_2015-300x395 motion proposing that Magdalen College JCR rename itself the ‘Jeremy Corbyn Room’ was rejected at a GM on Sunday evening.

The motion also proposed that the JCR also resolve to: “Fully commit to furthering the aims of international communism” and “Recommend to the college that Jeremy Corbyn is made an honorary fellow of the college”.

Speaking to the Oxford Student, Daniel Currie, who proposed the motion said: “We strongly suspect fascist entryism is to blame for the motion’s eventual failure but there was surprisingly little controversy in the discussion of the motion at the general meeting. Clearly Jezza’s new kind of politics is taking effect.

We submitted the motion as an attempt to give force to the beliefs of the famously socialist undergraduates of Magdalen and to reflect our collective love for the swagtastic manimal that is Jeremy Corbyn.”

Student reaction to the failure of the motion was mixed, one student who did not wish to be named told the Oxford Student: “Our JCR offers something different and is often maligned for it. Just like Corbyn, but with a playstation.”

Another Magdalen student: “I am very disappointed, it would have helped to offset the number of OUCA events held at Magdalen.”

Support amongst some Oxford students for the new Labour party leader is not newfound, the crucial 35th nomination that got Mr Corbyn onto the Labour leadership ballot paper came from Oxford East MP Andrew Smith who publicly credited Oxford University Labour club for helping him to make his mind up. OULC had previously given their backing for the Islington North MP to appear on the ballot.

Image: Gary Knight