Farage and Clegg to debate at Union

The Oxford Union will host Nigel Farage and Nick Clegg next Monday at its debate ‘This House believes that Britain and the EU are better together’

The UKIP leader and the former Liberal Democrat leader will go head to head on opposing sides of the debate a year on from their televised debates over Britain’s EU membership that were held prior to the General Election.

Also featuring in the debate will be Sir William Cash MP, a prominent Eurosceptic and Conservative backbencher, and José Manuel Barroso, former President of the European Commission.

The appearance of both men in Oxford comes at a time when the future of both of their parties appears unclear. The Liberal Democrats having been reduced to just 8 seats at May’s general election and have since struggled to boost their poll ratings under their new leader Tim Farron. UKIP on the other hand have been beset with infighting and disagreement between Mr Farage and other figures within the party, most notably their sole MP, Douglas Carswell.

The debate itself will provide an interesting spectacle for union members ahead of the negotiations and referendum on Britain’s EU membership that David Cameron has pledged to hold before the end of 2017.

The date of the referendum has yet to be agreed, but the question that the electoral commission have recommended be put to the country in the referendum is “Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?”

Image: BBC