Intern workwear hacks

Is the prospect of cobbling together a re-hash of your subfusc for internship interviews getting you down?

Get a load of these hacks for officewear to help you avoid looking like you’ve just pulled your old school trousers out from the back of the wardrobe.

• The trouser suit is having a renaissance – Long gone are the days when the pantsuit was the penchant of headteachers and receptionists, but you’ve got to know how to play it right. Full-length navy or black can be a little sombre and aging. Some people find it difficult to stray away from these colours when trying to dress “smartly”, but going for a patterned ensemble in dark, muted colours can break you in gently. Alternatively, for the more daring, you can still look super smart in a nicely cut suit with a great big wallop of colour. Try Zara for some William Morris-inspired printed goodness or Topshop for some houndstooth and marl grey.
  • Masculine brogues look good with everything – they’ll put the finishing touch to the powerful vibe you’ve created with your killer trouser suit, they’ll add a bit of an edge to a smart skirt and blouse ensemble and you’ll also be able to wear them with your jeans when you’re back in the comfort of lecture halls and the library. Added to this, you can buy beautiful pairs from shops, which probably get your mum and grandma’s seal of approval. Both Marks & Spencer and Clarks stock well-made brogues. Your feet will also thank you for blessing them with flats.
  • All you need is a jumpsuit – Magazines always claim that dresses are one-stop outfit creators; the same applies to jumpsuits. Obviously, it is probably to best to steer clear from workers’ boiler suits and disco diva unitards, but a good jumpsuit can achieve an effect very similar to that of a suit – practical and fuss-free. Snap up a great black one with a d-ring belt for cheap in the dregs of the Topshop sale.
  • Make up can make a real difference – Whilst it may not be advisable to turn up to your placement with glittery eyelids, pink cheeks and lilac lips, a simple red lipstick is a little bit like a man’s power tie; subtle, but un-ignorable and a statement look of many a powerful business woman over the years, Keep everything else paired down to avoid going overboard and match with neat red nails to look as much like Coco Chanel as possible.

If you want more inspiration check out elleuk.com to see the What Elle Wears feature – the editors and interns are streetstyled every week in their best officewear.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lovemaegan/3932118300/in/photolist-8EMSPG-9DT9aU-c1FySh-6Zt8Xf-6R4DxM-6R8GJY-yJRPpg-6Zt8M7-tex5pm-7o9Y5W-8TK6sG-aoeCyQ-bWeK9c-xtVfpF-wwUpf7-xuvx9v-w36hau-vMsuxX-w2CBCm-v7W3gb-rdvaAA-qvAMqE-w1bNWk-xfBHbq-xBCWEr-xBCVT6-xCfmte-w5pwW4-vMV24K-v8xcoi-rFotWu-rreceB-qjKQFL-rdvb8X-qWdZeM-rdfjHx-wAiUCS-wAiTJs-wAscAT-xxedZT-xfBFsf-xMHusJ-xLffN3-xMHsah-xvX18d-rdGKNe-rbpoCL-qgU5He-xMAUKf-xvQRj1 Maegan Tintari