What to see (and hear) in Oxford this term

Life

There’s a wide range of music on offer over the upcoming weeks, starting this evening at Cellar, where folk fusion group Moulettes will be playing a set in advance of the release of their new album Preternatural. On 26th April, Bristol native Dizraeli brings his unique hip-hop take on English folk music to the Jericho Tavern. The evening of 1st May presents a difficult choice for any music lovers who have recovered from the previous night, as Lethal Bizzle performs at the O2 Academy while beloved purveyors of exuberant folk Bellowhead conclude their farewell tour at the Oxford Town Hall. Acclaimed rapper and Wu-Tang Clan member Ghostface Killah visits The Bullingdon on 11th May. Looking further ahead, low-key Australian singer-songwriter RY X plays at the Church of St John the Evangelist on 21st May, while the Common People Festival debuts in Oxford over the weekend of the 28th and 29th, headlined by acts including Primal Scream and Duran Duran.

Lovers of classical should keep an eye on the Oxford May Music Festival, lasting from 27th April to 2nd May and featuring a series of chamber music concerts with varied programmes and performers. In the Sheldonian Theatre on 6th May, the Oxford Philharmonia play under acclaimed conductor Edward Gardner. For those who prefer student ensembles, the Oxford University Philharmonia give their Trinity Term concert (also in the Sheldonian) on 21st May, and elite contemporary choral group Commotio perform under internationally renowned composer and conductor Bob Chilcott on 11th June at St John the Evangelist. Also worth catching are a cappella jazz experts the Oxford Gargoyles, who celebrate their 18th ‘birthday’ on 14th May with – what else – a concert, in the Holywell Music Room.

So no excuse to miss out whatever your tastes!