Oriel on top of Norrington Table, Merton back in usual territory

Oriel College have come top in this year’s Norrington Table with 76.75 per cent, whilst Queen’s sunk to the bottom of the table with only 66.6 per cent, down five places from last year. Merton was close on Oriel’s heels, coming second with a score of 76.71 per cent, seemingly recovered from their shocking 27th place in 2015.

The Norrington Score is calculated by assigning points to each classification of degree, e.g. five points for a 1st, three to a 2.1, then dividing each college’s total by its total possible score were all students to get firsts (i.e. the number of students in that year x five).

Commenting on Oriel’s success, the college Provost Moira Wallace said: ““These results are a testament to the hard work of our students. We are very proud of their achievements, and of the excellent support provided by the College’s Tutors and staff.”

Highest Risers

The three highest risers were Pembroke, Brasenose and Univ, who all rose sixteen places. Pembroke moved from last to 14th, Brasenose 24th to 8th and Univ 20th to 4th.

Falls from Grace

New dropped from 3rd, in the 2015 table, to 18th place and Lincoln went from 4th to 19th. Keble College plummeted from 9th to 17th, but St Anne’s fall was the greatest, going from 8th in 2015 to 26th.

A St Anne’s Modern Languages finalist said: “Although it’s a shame St Anne’s has dropped significantly after last year’s successes, exam results are only one part of an Oxford education, and the outdated way that some subjects are assessed surely contributes to figures like these when they do occur.”

Another St Anne’s finalist had a more light-hearted response: “I’m surprised Anne’s fell so much in the Norrington Table. Especially when you consider that travelling approximately 3 hours to get anywhere means we tend to spend most of our time in the library.”

The PPHs arguably did worse than almost all the colleges, only Ripon did better than Queen’s, with a score of 66.67 per cent. Wycliffe Hall and St Benet’s Hall got 62.5 and 63.64 per cent respectively.

The record to beat is still Merton’s score of 2007/2008 when they came top of the table with 77.7 per cent.

Members of Queen’s College have been contacted for comment.

The full list can be read here.