Number of Oxford places given to state school pupils rises to all time high

This year 59.2 per cent of offers from the University of Oxford went to state school pupils. This is the highest percentage for forty years and an increase of over 3 per cent compared to last year.

Whilst final entrant figures remain unconfirmed it is expected that they will mirror the increase in offers.

These figures come in the wake of recent calls for the top universities to be more inclusive with particular criticism being levelled at Oxbridge. Dr Samina Khan, head of undergraduate admissions at Oxford stated that the university takes responsibility for diversity “incredibly seriously”. Dr Khan went on to say that these latest statistics were proof that the universities efforts to improve access were now “bearing fruit”.

In 2015 Oxford delivered more than 3,000 outreach events, involving 3,400 schools. The university allocates each college specific regions of the UK on which to focus their outreach efforts. The university as a whole, estimates that they spend around £5.6m on outreach work. They spend a further £7m on financial support for students from disadvantaged backgrounds.

There remains a disparity between the number of state educated pupils nationwide – 93 per cent – and Oxford’s admissions figures. Many maintain that despite this latest progress, more can be done to improve access to Oxford.