Man banned from begging in Oxford

Oxford Magistrates court has issued a Criminal Behaviour Order (CBO) to a 31 year old man banning him from begging in Oxford.

The individual, one Adam Bloor of Friars Wharf, will face fines and possibly even imprisonment if he is found begging in Oxford following the issue of this CBO.

The CBO was issued following a Thames Valley Police investigation into the homeless man, who they have said has been found begging on multiple occasions since June 2017.

Sergeant Peter Neale based at Oxford police station said: “The CBO is the culmination of a prosecution pathway, under the Street Wise Initiative.

“The initiative aims to identify persistent beggars and make attempts to connect them with homelessness support services, tenancy sustainment teams at Oxford City Council, homelessness outreach teams and other vital services to the homeless and vulnerably housed.

“The issuing of this CBO, along with our partnership work demonstrates our commitment to reducing anti-social behaviour in Oxford and protecting the most vulnerable people in our communities.”

This move seems to coincide with many similar legal cases against the homeless and beggars being brought to courts across the country. The Rev Mark Coleman, Vicar of Rochdale, said the following about a similar situation in his local area: “It is a fact that most people who beg are poor and leading precarious lives. Will we have the right to consider ourselves a civilised society if those who beg are at risk of being fined, and ending up in the criminal justice system?”